Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pet Health

Pet health is dear and close to my heart as I have two great dogs.  Both have had their share of health problems.  The most important thing you can do for your pet's health as your own is to feed them good quality food.  The best food for dogs is a combination of organic chicken breast, brown rice, and vegetables.  For one cup of chicken, you would add two cups of cooked brown rice, 1/2 cup of cooked vegetables, and 1/2 cup of broth or water.  If you boil the chicken, I would add a tablespoon of olive or good quality vegetable oil for every cup of meat before serving.  I usually cook up a batch for 3 days.  If you can't afford all organic, then buy non-organic rice and vegetables.  However, I would not compromise on the organic chicken unless you get your chicken from a local farmer who does not use hormones when raising chickens.  If you use factory farmed chicken, you are subjecting your dog to the risk of the added hormones used in factory farmed animals.  These risks include but are not limited to higher risk of cancer just like you would if you ate factory farmed chicken every day.  It is wise to add supplements to your dogs food if it is home prepared.  There is a good recipe in Dr. Pitcairn's book Natural Health for Dogs & Cats.  You can also buy good quality supplements online through Balance It.  For Balance It you may need a code from your veterinarian to purchase.  Your veterinarian can also help you choose the right one for your pet.  

If you don't want to go through the trouble of cooking your dogs food or you are financially unable to at this time, I would suggest buying a good quality organic dog food.  The one I like and keep on hand for when I can't cook is Organix.  It is USDA certified organic.  Yes, it is more expensive than other canned dog foods but well worth the price.  I usually wait until it goes on sale (which it does frequently at Petsmart) and stock up.  My dogs never get kibble except for treats.  Yes, I use the kibble for training them and I only use organic. 

Whatever you choose to do, do not feed your pets highly processed commercial food with byproducts, dyes, preservatives, and refined sweeteners (high fructose corn syrup or sugar).  All non-organic commercial pet food is risky.  Much of it is coming from China with additives deadly for our pets.  Remember the melamine scare.  Melamine, a chemical found in wheat gluten, was at the center of a recall of 60 million packages of pet food.  Many pets got very sick and some died.  Don't let your pet be one of them. 

We've had many very cold temperatures across the country this winter. Please don't leave your pet out at night, especially, when temperatures drop below 50 degrees or rise above 80 degrees.   It's inhuman to leave pets outside during severe weather, especially it they are on a leash.  We wouldn't want to be outside (on a leash) so our pets shouldn't be outside in severe weather either.  In my opinion, there is no such thing as an outside dog, unless you mean outside the bedroom.  My dogs are great watch dogs and keep me aware at night of any strange noise so they stay in my bedroom.  I understand if some people want their dogs in another room at night but I can't understand putting them outside the house.  Pets who get little interaction with their owners live shorter and less healthly lives.  They love YOU unconditionally, protect you, and play with you.  Please do the same for them by feeding them well, playing with them, cleaning them, bringing them for annual vet exams, and protecting them.  The love you give them will come back ten fold.  Your pets will be happier, healthier, and live longer.       


If there is any health or fitness topic you would like me to write about, please let me know.  All relative comments are welcome except spam.  Spam will be deleted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great article. I love dogs. I have two dogs(a minature schnauzer mix named Maxie and a sheperd mix named Noble)who I love dearly. I try to feed my dogs healthy food, but the economy makes it difficult sometimes. I can tell you really care about dogs, especially your own. I wish everyone cared as much as you.