"Many kids want a snack when they come home from school. It’s also a good idea to take snacks with you on long rides or when going shopping. When you are going to be shopping for awhile, healthy snacks will tide you and your kid(s) over and make it less likely they will ask you for something in the store (especially food shopping trips) and less likely you will stop for at a fast food restaurant because you are hungry. Don’t forget to take along some water to drink or a diluted 100% juice drink. Sometimes when we think we are hungry we are really thirsty. Many times when I tell my Mom I’m hungry, she tells me to go get a glass of water. I hate to admit it but most of the time she is right. We keep a cooler in the car so we have a place for our drinks and snacks. Here are some snacks that I enjoy and maybe you will too!
1. Celery with peanut butter (non-hydrogenated) and raisins (the classic Ants on a Log).
2. Apple slices or banana with peanut butter.
3. Apple, orange (peel and put in container before hitting the road), banana, pear, peach, plum, or whatever fruit is in season.
4. Trail mix. My favorite is a mixture of almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and vegan carob chips or organic chocolate chips. Try to stay away from adding M&Ms because they are loaded with dyes. You can also add other dried fruits and nuts that you like.
5. Peanut butter with fruit sweetened jam.
6. Plain organic yogurt with frozen or fresh fruit.
7. Plain organic yogurt with maple syrup or honey. Maple syrup should be 100% from a maple tree and the kind that comes from a chemical factory loaded with high-fructose corn syrup and artificial flavorings.
8. Home baked goods like muffins and scones made with healthy ingredients. We make muffins with whole wheat flour (~50%), pecans and maple syrup for a sweetener. We also make scones with whole wheat flour (25%-30%), plain yogurt instead of buttermilk, orange zest, and dried cranberries. Yum!
I hope you enjoy these snacks. Did you know I dislike celery but I love peanut butter? Peanut butter makes celery taste good. Even if you or your kid(s) don’t like the taste of celery, still try #1. It is the same thing for carrots. Carrots have beta-carotene which makes it good for your eyesight.
If you have any good healthy snacks that are easy to make, please add them to the comments and I will add them in another posting."