Thursday, April 28, 2011

Gardening Update





On a lighter note today, my garden is coming along fine. I took a few photos from different angles. The method of gardening we use is called square foot gardening.  With the help of my daughter, we pulled up grass in an area approximately 5 feet by 12 feet, put down wire (to prevent voles from eating the roots of my plants), and put down a weed barrier.  Then we put together the square foot garden and placed it over the wire and weed barrier, placed pavers and bark around the garden, added soil, planted seeds and made signs.  It took quite a probably 40 hours of work between the two of us but it is great to be done and looks good.  The smaller garden already has strawberry plants in it.  They didn't do so well last year.  They are everbearing strawberries.  Since I planted them last year, I'm hoping this year will be much better.  I'm also adding a couple of June bearing and two more everbearing.  We also added yellow onions and beets in the small garden and will be adding one or two marigold flowers.  is In the larger garden, we planted peas (3 squares), lettuce (2 squares), spinach, green onions (transplants), arugula, kale, mustard greens, swiss chard, chives (transplants), carrots,  and turnips.  When the peas are done, they will be replaced with tomatoes and maybe one watermelon.  We will add basil and parsley when it gets warmer.  Corn will be planted after the arugula.  Peppers will be planted after the lettuce.  Green bush beans will be planted after the mustard greens, swiss chard, and spinach are harvested.  The green onions, turnips, carrots, and chives will take up most of the season so no replacements.

As I mentioned before, I also have additional basil growing inside and will have additional tomato plants growing in pots and in the ground where I have drips for shrubs long gone.  And then there is the small green house which is housing more lettuce, kale, parsley, and arugula plus broccoli and cabbage.  I did this because the green house is in partial shade and the lettuce didn't do so in the heat last summer plus I'd like to have greens as long as possible into the fall. 

Remember, if you need gardening supplies or books on square foot and container gardening, click on SHOP at the top of the page.  The items are from Amazon.  You pay the same price.  I just did the work for you.  Have a good day and start a garden because food prices are expected to go up significantly this year.  :)

No comments: