Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gardening Update

My garden is not doing as well as expected.  Ants are eating my strawberries.  I put down diatomaceous earth and I still see ants.  Something is also eating my spinach, swiss chard, and turnip and beet greens.  Hopefully, the turnips and beets won't be affected.  The strange thing is there is no sign of insects except ants and earwigs outside that garden but I've never seen either on the plants.  I did, however, surround that garden with diatomaceous earth today.  It's difficult when you are not sure what is destroying your plants. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.  Something was also eating my arugula greens and kale but stopped.  The swiss chard and spinach had to be pulled and thrown away.  I am planting more spinach in pots.  The brocolli (only planted one) didn't produce much so far.  I cut the center stalk because it was about to flower.  We'll see on that one.  So far all the lettuce and arugula has been great.  Already ate 7 heads lettuce and a couple of arugula plants.  The tomatos, peas, carrots, chives, parsley, and green onions are coming along fine.  This weekend I will be planting green beans, melon, and corn.  Very concerned about insects with these plants.       

Image: Grant Cochrane / FreeDigitalPhotos.net




    

No comments: