Friday, February 17, 2012

Coffee and Lower Depression





There is a new study that links lower depression rates with drinking coffee.  That's great since I drink a cup of coffee almost every morning.  There are other ways to alleviate depression besides drinking coffee and prescription drugs.  See my post called 5 Natural Ways to Alleviate Depression for some more suggestions.  


Coffee drinking is also linked
to lower risk of Alzheimer's Disease.  That's probably the
biggest reason I won't stop drinking coffee aside from my apparent addiction.  AD is a horrible disease that has made an appearance in my family so I'm taking all precautions.  The only problem I seem to have with coffee is sleeplessness if I happen to drink some in the afternoon.  Lack of sleep can make you depressed so this can be a catch-22 situation.  Sleep is incredibly important for so many reasons including  weight loss.  It's worth reviewing one of my prior postings on how to get good nights sleep if you have problems.  Sometimes I have to reread that posting.  


So as I've said before, drink your one or two cups of coffee every day if you enjoy it.  Just make sure it is organic and that includes the cream or half and half you put in it.  Non-organic brands of coffee have up to 1,000 chemicals in them and non-organic milk, unless stated otherwise, has hormones (rBGH/rBST) added compliments of my least favorite corporation Monsanto.  Consuming a cup of chemicals and hormones is not good for your health and will not help depression if you develop cancer.   


One last note on coffee.  Coffee contraindicates homeopathic remedies so if you take homeopathic remedies (like I do occasionally) then you should not drink coffee while you are taking them.  If you start a homeopathic remedy the same day you stop drinking your coffee, it may take a couple of days for the remedy to work.  In my experience this is more true with chronic conditions then acute conditions.   







Image: digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net


No comments: