Tuesday, October 30, 2012

12 Most Toxic Consumer Home Products

I posted this a year ago and thought it was worth reposting.  Also called the "Dirty Dozen" by the Cancer Prevention Coalition (CPC), the top 12 toxic products found in the average home are:

  1. Johnson's Baby Powder
  2. Cover Girl Replenishing Natural Finish Make-Up
  3. Crest Tartar Control Toothpaste
  4. Alberto VO5 Conditioner
  5. Clairol Nice 'n Easy Permanent Haircolor
  6. Ajax Cleanser
  7. Zud Heavy Duty Cleanser
  8. Lysol Disinfectant Spray
  9. Zodiac Cat and Dog Flea Collar
  10. Ortho Weed-B-Gon Lawn Weed Killer
  11. Beef Frankfurters
  12. Whole Milk

Fortunately, I do not use any of these products.  I never used talcum powder on my daughter when she was a baby.  I use Tom's or Trader Joe's natural fluoride free toothpaste.  Many flea collars are pure poison.  If they are killing the fleas, then what do you think they are doing to your pets?  As for Weed-B-Gon, I would rather hand pull the weeds from my yard then support Monsanto and poison the ground and my family.  I don't eat beef so no problem avoiding the beef frankfurters.  I do eat tofu or organic chicken hot dogs.  I don't drink milk either but I do have organic ice cream once in a while.

The CPC's Dirty Dozen Consumer Products are listed on their website along with the toxic ingredients. You should click on the link to see the toxic ingredients.  It is shocking especially the milk and frankfurters since these products are considered food.  The CPC also lists substitute products you can use as a replacement.  All their substitutes are fine except for Comet.  Comet is listed as a substitute for Ajax and Zud.  You can use baking soda instead of Comet.  Baking soda works great for cleaning just about anything and costs pennies compared to Comet.  I've also used it to unclog drains and garbage disposals and removing stains from carpet by adding vinegar.  If your garbage disposal is clogged up (because you jammed potato peels down it and expected it to work), just add baking soda, then vinegar, and some hot water and let it sit overnight.  I've done this many times so I know it works.  If you have a stain on your carpet, spinkle baking soda on it, then spray vinegar on top of the baking soda and let it sit until it is almost dry.  Vacuum and voila!  Stain-B-Gon!  Costs much less money than calling a plumber or carpet cleaner. :)


Image courtesy of digitalart / http://www.freedigitalphotos.net" target="_blank">FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments: