Monday, March 24, 2014

STUDY: OATMEAL BETTER FOR BREAKFAST THAN COLD CEREAL

According the the Journal of the American College of Nutrition (Sept. 9, 2013), in a study of 48 adults, those who had oatmeal for breakfast reported less hunger and less desire to eat afterwords, up to four hours. Both meals in the study provided the same amount of calories, however, the oatmeal breakfast had twice the protein and more fiber than the cold cereal.

A breakfast of oatmeal with berries or raisins, walnuts, flaxseed meal, and cinnamon will provide you with plenty of protein, fiber, fat, and antioxidants. I use 1/2 cup of oatmeal (150 calories), 1 tablespoon of raisins (45 calories) or 1/2 cup of fresh berries (50 calories), 2 tablespoons of walnuts (85 calories), 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal (30 calories) and cinnamon. Total of approximately 315 calories. For some people this might seem like a lot of calories but it is not when you consider that this meal keeps you satisfied half the day. Most days I am not hungry again until 3-4 in the afternoon. If I can't make a meal until 6 or 7, I grab some nuts or an apple. Most times I make linner (lunch and dinner combined), dunch (dinner and lunch combined), late lunch, or early dinner or whatever you want to call it. That's when I have a serving of meat, large serving of steamed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli or whatever healthy stuff is in the frig) with butter (yes butter, it will not make you fat), and 1 cup of either grains (brown rice or a mixture of white rice, quinoa, and millet) or potatoes. Another meal I make is homemade chicken vegetable soup. I usually make enough for 2 or 3 days. In the summer, I eat salads more often than hot meals.


Another breakfast I have a couple of times per week that will keep you satisfied is a cranberry muffin (my recipe made with spelt flour, barley flour, cranberries, and a little honey) or potatoes (baked in the oven with olive oil), scrambled eggs with green onions, peppers, and mushrooms, and turkey sausage. The muffins are my own recipe made with spelt flour, barley flour, dried cranberries, and a little honey. These are great with breakfast and soups. This breakfast is about 400 calories but provides plenty of protein, healthy fats, and fiber. I usually make this one as a brunch on days I eat later than usual. 

If I eat a late lunch/early dinner, at 7 or 8 pm I have a small meal like a salad and a healthy snack like popcorn with sea salt and nutritional yeast. If you eat like this, you will always be satisfied and the weight, if you are overweight, will melt off.       


Your comments are welcome.

No comments: