Lemons are anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and antiseptic. Pure lemon essential oil is pale yellow in color and very concentrated. Although it is price, a little goes a long way. Be sure to buy 100% essential oils. If buying to add to food, also make sure it is food grade quality. I always buy food grade because it is more versatile than non-food grade. There are many good products but Now Foods (Now Foods lemon essential oil) has the best prices for the quality that I've found. Here are some ways that lemon essential oil can be used for healing, cleaning, sanitizing, and repelling insects.
1. Heal respiratory ailments.For a sore throat, add 2-3 drops of lemon oil to hot tea or warm water with raw honey and sip. For relieving coughs and congestion, rub a few drops of lemon oil on your chest and/or throat. Repeat several times daily. You can also use in herbal tea with honey to help a cough. If your cough is worse during sleep then your tea right before bed will help calm the cough.
2. Boost energy. Add a couple of drops of both lemon and peppermint essential oils to water for an instant boost in energy.
3. Sanitize toothbrushes. Put a drop of lemon oil on your toothbrush then swish it around in a bit of water to immediately clean and sanitize it.
4. Eliminate bad breath. Place 4 drops of lemon oil in 4 ounces of warm water and gargle to get rid of bad breath.
5. Treat skin problems.To treat acne, apply three drops of lemon essential oil to a cotton ball and swipe onto the affected area, repeating up to three times a day. For removing callouses, corns and warts, apply a drop of lemon oil on the affected area twice a day until they go away. For cold sores & fever blisters, dab a drop of lemon oil on the cold sore 2 to 3 times daily. If the lemon oil stings, dilute first with almond or olive oil. To brighten and lighten a dull complexion, add a drop of lemon oil to your daily moisturizer. Caution: Lemons will increase sensitivity to sunlight. Either adding an organic sunscreen on top of your moisturizer or put your moisturizer on you skin before bed. 6. Stress Relief.Add ten to fifteen drops of essential lemon oil to your bath water and soak for at least fifteen minutes. Lavender essential oil works just as well.
7. Treat minor wounds.Essential lemon oil is a natural antiseptic. Place five drops of lemon essential oil in a bowl of three ounces of water. Wipe the wound with a sterilized pad that has been dipped into the mixture. Continue this process until the wound appears clean.
8. Heal canker sores. Add a drop of lemon oil to a shot glass of water and swish around the mouth for several minutes to alleviate canker sores.
9. Improve mental clarity. Diffuse lemon oil in your work or study space to improve mental accuracy and concentration.
10. Clean with lemon. For a great window and toilet bowl cleaner, add about 8-10 drops of lemon oil to a spray bottle filled with water and distilled vinegar, and use as a window cleaner. I use 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar.
11. Freshen with lemon. To freshen the air, add a few drops of lemon essential oil added to a spray bottle filled with water and spray or or add 8 drops to an essential oil diffuser. To freshen laundry, add a few drops to your homemade or unscented laundry soap or add a drop to the final rinse cycle.
12. Remove grease with lemon. Lemon oil will remove grease and grime from yours hands, dishes, and other household items.
13. Polish and clean wood. Add a few drops of lemon oil to olive oil for a non-toxic wood cleaner and furniture polish.
14. Repel mosquitoes. Mix lemon oil with a carrier oil (coconut or almond oil) and smooth over your skin to repel mosquitoes who hate the smell of citrus.
15. Adding lemon oil to food to boost flavor.A a drop or two of lemon essential oil to bland food to liven it up. Make sure you are using therapeutic grade lemon oil. You will know this by the supplement information on the label.
16. Prolong shelf-life of fresh produce. Fill a bowl with cold water, add 2–3 drops of lemon oil. Drop cleaned fruit into the water, coating all surfaces. This will extend the shelf life of fresh produce.