Hearty Bean Soup
1. Check beans for foreign objects and remove. Wash beans, place in large pot (~6 quarts), cover with water and soak overnight or at least 8 hours.
- 1 lb. legumes - navy, kidney, black, chickpea, and/or split peas
- 1 16 oz. canned tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2-1 lb. meat depending on how much you like meat - chicken sausage, chopped chicken or turkey, or vegan meat
- salt and pepper to taste
2. Drain beans and return to pot. Add all ingredients except meat. Cover with water (about 10-12 cups) and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer 1.5 – 2 hours until beans are tender. In the meantime, saute meat with olive oil and add to soup. Meat should be added about 1/2 hour before soup is done.
Note: You may also use canned beans. If you do, use 2 cans of different varieties.